Thursday, July 28, 2011

Stalker

It’s confirmed, I’m a stalker. Slap me in handcuffs and drag me away. So help me G*d, I couldn’t help it. No it’s not The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, but a little guy called Noah who has parents that would put all of us to shame. Srsly, they put the ‘Pro’ in Pro-fessional as far as workin’ this kid with early intervention, therapies and loads of good old fashioned luuuuuuurve. Noah is one seriously lucky dude and will no doubt do well in life.

Noah’s Dad states “There has never been a better time for a baby to be born with Down syndrome”. Agreed. 100%. Medical technology, social acceptance, early intervention programs, informed doctors, you name it.

But from high on my horse as mother of TDQ, would I go back there? Hell, no! Here's why....

Big plans last Monday involved meeting at 4:00 pm (Me from work ... Dad, TDQ & Firecracker from a day of swimming lessons, lunching and library ... Golden Boy from a full-on day at soccer camp) to celebrate Dad’s birthday with bowling, half-price pizza and cake (so I forgot the cake and had to stop off at the grocery store. Sue me.) As any parent knows, going from a busy day to an action-packed evening = recipe for disaster and my trusty children proved to be no exception to this rule. Hot, tired, whiny, me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me.

Zoom in to the scene at about 4:45 p.m. Cue music of shower scene from Psycho.

GoldenBoy is moping around because he can’t get a strike and the Firecracker (7 years younger) is beating his score. Oh boy. Firecracker herself is frenzied, wild-eyed from hours in the pool and the lights and noise of the arcade that the bowling alley just had to install to torment parents.

What was TDQ doing? Bless her heart, she was sitting on the bench seat like an angel, waiting her turn. Get up, bowl, politely cheer for self, sit down. Albeit, rolling her eyes and making the odd snarky comment about children who behave poorly in public. Personally, I blame the parents.

She was the only redeeming feature of that little expedition. If I can count on anyone to be mature, patient and act appropriately in public, it’s my lovely TDQ. At 15, she is truly perfect, in her own dramatic way.

The early days of having a child with Down syndrome are filled with doubt and uncertainty. Why us, why me, why her (note, these feelings might be misguided but feelings are feelings, right? I try to be kind to the person I was then) Will we make this milestone (and what the heck do we do if not??) Should we empty our wallets for this or that new therapy? Are we making the right decisions? Should we have moved to another city or country where there are better opportunities? What do other people really think when they see this kid? Is she acting appropriately? It’s a terrifying, long and winding path with no particular end in sight.

But I’m there... the end. And the view is fa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-abulous!

No comments: